Here at Wire 3, we provide customers with the latest and greatest in Wifi router technology but we understand if customers want to use their own equipment.
If you are using your own router and having issues with your service, here are a few steps you can take to ensure your service from us is up and running and you are getting the proper speeds!
To bypass your Wifi equipment and test directly from the modem, follow these steps
- Unplug the Ethernet cable from your router's WAN port and connect it directly to a laptop capable of at least 1-Gigabit Ethernet.
- The ONT (fiber modem) will be connected directly to your laptop via the same Ethernet cable normally connected to your router
- Ensure you have disabled all firewalls, VPN’s or any other software running in the background that might inhibit your Internet performance. Also make sure that the device's WiFi is disconnected from the network or turned off, in case this doesn't happen automatically.
- Open www.fast.com and run a test.
- If you are still seeing slow speeds, snap a photo of the speed test and text it to us as an sms at 386-777-8836.
- If your computer has a 1-Gigabit Ethernet port, you should receive speed test results in the range of 900 to 970 Mb/s.
- If your computer has a 10-Gigabit Ethernet port, keep in mind that a single laptop will be unlikely to saturate a 10-Gigabit Ethernet connection due to CPU and software limitations. However, a modern processor with a minimum of 16GB of RAM and a 5-Gigabit or 10-Gigabit wired Ethernet port should produce results in the 2 to 5 Gigabit/s range. We have tested with the highest-end MacBook Pro M1 MAX laptops and achieve results in the 9.8 Gb/s range.
- If you are still not seeing the proper speeds after testing or still need more assistance, feel free to contact us any time at firstname.lastname@example.org or by texting or calling us at 1-386-777-8835.
So why 10 gig?
If a single device is unable to consume all 10-Gigabits, you might ask - What’s the point in providing 10-Gig connections? It’s all about ensuring all devices on your home network connecting simultaneously without congestion. We’re seeing more and more devices in homes—laptops, tablets, mobile phones, smart-TV’s, cameras, smart lights, etc … A 10-Gig connection will ensure that all these devices can realize their maximum potential without worrying about congestion on your home network.